The Light House Mission was established in 1890 to serve the needs of transient and needy local people in Terre Haute, Indiana, and has served in this capacity to the present time.
In 1935, it was re-organized as a not-for-profit organization by the state of Indiana. It has expanded its range and geographic scope of services to include 19 counties in West Central Indiana and East Central Illinois. As these counties form some of the poorest localities in the two states, the Mission has seen a significant increase in the number of indigent and homeless in the last few years.
The Mission accepts all who need assistance and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national or ethical origin, age, physical disability, or medical condition.